Diabetes is actually five seperate diseases says a group of Scientists.The treatment can also be done for each.Diabetes or high blood sugar levels is normailly divided into types Type 1 and Type 2.
- Type 1 Diabetes results from the failure of pancreas to produce enough insulin.
- Type 2 Diabets occurs as a disease of poor lifestyle as body fat can affect the way the insulin works.
Diabetes is due to either the pancreas not producing enough insulin or the cells of the body not responding properly to the insulin produced.Diabetes affects about one in 11 adults worldwide and it increases the risk of heart attack, stroke, blindness, kidney failure and limb amputation.
The study done by Lund University Diabetes Centre in Sweden and the Institute for Molecular Medicine Finland conducted a detailed analysis of blood at 14,775 patients .
The results published in The Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology showed the patients could be separated into five distinct clusters.
- Cluster 1 : Severe autoimmune diabetes is same as the classical Type 1.It hit people when they were young,seemingly healthy and unable to produce insulin.
- Cluster 2 : Severe insulin-deficient diabetes patients looked very similar to those in cluster 1. They were young, had a healthy weight and struggled to make insulin, but the immune system was not at fault.
- Cluster 3 : Severe insulin-resistant diabetes patients were generally overweight and making insulin but their body was no longer responding to it.
- Cluster 4 : Mild obesity-related diabetes was mainly seen in people who were very overweight but metabolically much closer to normal than those in cluster 3.
- Cluster 5 : Mild age-related diabetes patients developed symptoms when they were significantly older than in other groups and their disease tended to be milder.
Understanding the diseases could help personalise treatments and thus reduce the risk of diabetes-related complications in the future.