From the time it was discovered , dates were known to have healing powers. And while science has proved that for sure, we love to eat them mostly because of how delicious these dark fruits are. According to history, date palm is known to have come from Iraq. However Egyptians were known to have made wine with dates a lot earlier as well.
Today it continues to be one of the most important ingredients in Middle Eastern cuisine. While there are at least 30 kinds of dates that are found around the world, they pretty much fall under three broad types – soft, semi-dry, and dry, and the differentiation is made according to the glucose, sucrose, and fructose content.
Cuisines across the world use dates in small and large quantities, but it’s also important to note that the fruit of the date palm tree also comes with a lot of health benefits. Dates are a good source of various vitamins and minerals, energy, sugar, and fiber. It also contains calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc.
Here are some health benefits of eating dates regularly :
- Dates are free from cholesterol and contain very little fat.
- Including them in smaller quantities in your daily diet can help you keep a check on cholesterol level, and even assist in weight loss.
- Dates are a strong source for proteins that help us in staying fit.
- It helps us keep our muscles strong.
3.Rich in vitamins
- Dates contain vitamins such as B1, B2, B3 and B5, as well as A1 and C.
- Dates contain natural sugars such as glucose, sucrose, and fructose that will keep you healthy.
4.Improves Bone Health
- Dates are rich in selenium, manganese, copper, and magnesium which keeps our bones healthy, and preventing conditions such as osteoporosis.
5. Strengthens the nervous system
- Dates(yellow dates) are loaded with potassium, and yet contain little sodium, and that goes a long way in keeping your nervous system in order.
- The potassium helps to reduce cholesterol, and keeps the risk of a stroke in check.
6. Rich in iron
- Dates contain iron, which is highly recommended for those who suffer from iron deficiency.
- Dates are also good for blood purification.
7. Promotes digestion
- Soak a few dates in water and chew on them daily, your digestive system will behave itself very well.
- It is also recommended for those who have trouble with constipation.
8. Improves skin
- The vitamins C and D works on your skin’s elasticity, and also keeps your skin smooth.
- Dates also come with anti-ageing benefits, and prevent the accumulation of melanin in your body.
9. Fixes hangovers
- Dates are an excellent way to control inebriation.
- It also helps to cure hangovers.
10. Assists in weight gain
- The sugar, proteins, and other vitamins in the fruit help in weight gain.
- When eaten with cucumber, dates help to keep your weight at a normal level.